- 2 ½ cups (625 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon (4 ml) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7 ml) vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer and beat until creamy and well-combined.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Separate the dough in half and mold into two disks.
- Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Generously dust a clean surface with flour and deposit one disk onto the surface. Roll out one disk at a time until it is 5 mm (¼ in.) thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and transfer them onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until edges just begin to turn lightly golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before moving and frosting, if desired.